No fridge? No problem! These ingredients can go anywhere…
1 can of beans (I’ve used a six-bean medley, although kidney or pinto beans would work as well)
1 onion, diced
Handful of green beans, sliced
1 capsicum, diced
5-7 mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
2 tsp chilli powder/ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
Broke? Trying to entertain a vegetarian? Want to eat something healthy that has more personality than lettuce? Look no further, my friends. Having been funemployed for so long, I was forced to get a little creative with my weekly shopping list. I make a pretty good beef chilli; but when money’s tight, beans are a worthy substitute. And what’s even better is when you’re heading out camping for a night or two, these ingredients don’t need to be refrigerated! Just be prepared to not make any friends a few hours after eating the beans…
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry diced onion over medium heat.
- Add green beans, canned beans and capsicum; cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir through canned tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic and seasonings.
- Lower heat and, with the lid on, simmer ingredients for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir, then cook for another 5 minutes to reduce sauce.
- Serve over rice, with corn chips, in tacos, or with salad.
Add bacon, because everything tastes better with bacon.