There are more ways to cook trout than just in foil with lemon!
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 trout fillets
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 rashers bacon,
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat your camp oven to medium/high heat over coals or a gas flame. Drop in a trivet.
- Lightly oil a pizza tray or flat tray that fits in your camp oven.
- Lay the trout fillets out on the tray.
- Zest the lemon (see below) and mix in a bowl with the chopped bacon, thyme and breadcrumbs.
- Cut the lemon into four wedges.
- Pile the mixture on top of the fillets, pressing on lightly. Place the wedges around the fish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in your camp oven for 8-10 minutes. The trout is cooked when it flakes easily and the topping is lightly browned and crisp.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.
If you don’t have a lemon zester, use a potato peeler to carefully remove only the top yellow layer of skin, making sure you don’t get any of the white pith underneath. Chop the zest very finely before using.