The Outback Music Festival Group, organisers of the Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash, have today announced that the event date will be pushed back by five weeks, with the inaugural music festival now set to run from September 23-25, 2021.
Coming off the back of a hugely successful Birdsville Big Red Bash event Greg Donovan, Festival owner and Managing Director of the Outback Music Festival Groupsaid that the Covid landscape had changed dramatically since that event was staged in outback Queensland last week, and it was no longer possible to stage the Mundi Mundi Bash in NSW given what is happening with the Covid outbreak in Sydney, and the various state border restrictions.
Greg Donovan said, “We had a wonderful window that allowed us to safely stage the Birdsville Big Red Bash last week, and from July 6-8 there really was no happier place on earth. We had amazing Covid protocols in place, including on-site rapid testing, artist bubbles, social distancing in a massive 1.3million square metre event site – you name it, we did it. And it worked. It’s mind-blowing how much the situation has changed in such a short period of time, but given the dramatic turn, we had to adapt and concede that despite the strength of our Covid planning it was not practical, or fair to Broken Hill locals, for us to push forward trying to make the original August event dates. The safety of our patrons and the communities that we operate in is always of paramount importance to us, and pushing our dates back is the right decision.”
Of the decision to move the dates back from August 19-21 to September 23-25 Broken Hill City Council Mayor Darriea Turley AM said, “We absolutely understand and support the decision to postpone the event. It’s the right move to ensure everyone’s safety, and we thank the organisers for prioritising the health of our community and Bash attendees. Hopefully, the situation in NSW settles down and we can all enjoy an amazing show in September.”
The new September dates will coincide with school holidays across much of Australia, which organisers of the family-friendly all-ages music festival expect will be well received by ticket holders however those unable to attend on the new dates are able to request a ticket refund.
Refunded tickets will be released for sale on the Mundi Mundi Bash website here from Wednesday, 21st July, and given how quickly the event sold out it is anticipated demand will be strong for any tickets that do become available again.
Requests for refunds can be made anytime up to and including Thursday, 19th August.
In what has been an incredible pivot, organisers have been able to secure nearly all of the line-up for the new event dates.
The re-booted line-up for the Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash September is a roll-call of Aussie rock legends including Paul Kelly, Ian Moss, John Williamson, Kate Ceberano, Russell Morris, Glenn Shorrock, Thirsty Merc, Ross Wilson, Vika & Linda, Wendy Matthews, Shane Howard, Shannon Noll, Dragon, The Radiators, Chocolate Starfish, Mi-Sex, The Chantoozies, Bjorn Again, Mark Gable, Steve Balbi, and Caitlyn Shadbolt.
New Zealand-based Tim Finn had already announced that he was unable to travel to Australia because of the changes in the trans-Tasman bubble, with Russell Morris taking his spot in the line-up.
Thirsty Merc and Caitlyn Shadbolt are also new additions to the stellar Mundi Mundi Bash line-up, all on a high after the experience of performing at the Birdsville Big Red Bash. Thirsty Merc frontman Rai Thistlethwayte took to the outback setting, surfing the 40 metre high Big Red sand dune that is the stunning backdrop to the Birdsville stage he later performed on with some of his young fans on a borrowed boogie board.
“After the incredible gig we had at the Big Red Bash, Thirsty Merc has really whetted its appetite for touring the Aussie Outback! Make sure you get along to experience it all again at the Mundi Mundi Bash and while you’re there, you’ll get to take in the best sunset on Earth!,” said Rai Thistlethwayte.
“We’d like to give a huge thanks to everyone involved in the Bash, from artists and crew to production, vendors, suppliers, and volunteers. They have all supported our decision to postpone the event, and remain on board to ensure the successful delivery of the inaugural Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash,” added Greg Donovan.
Please refer to the FAQs for more detailed information, and responses regarding ticketing for the Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash.
When it kicks off in September, the inaugural Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash music festival will be the biggest event ever staged in Outback NSW.
The Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash is a three-day festival with a capacity of just 10,000 and will be staged on the iconic Mundi Mundi Plains outside Silverton in NSW, on the red earth of private farm-land. The Barrier Ranges will provide a spectacular backdrop to the event stage that will be built from the ground up on a landscape that is as vast as it is beautiful.
The event is an all-ages and dog-friendly festival offering up a uniquely Australian destination adventure for families, grey nomads, camping and caravanning enthusiasts, and intrepid travelers.
In addition to the music line-up, the event will also feature a jam-packed program of outback activities from a Nutbush City Limits World Record dance-off attempt (the current record of 2,787 dancing revelers was set by the Big Red Bash on Thursday, July 8) to a Mad Max costume dress-up world record attempt, comedy and outdoor film screenings, scenic helicopter flights, camel rides and the charity initiatives such as the ‘Mundi Mundi Undie Run’ fundraising for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. The rich history, museums, and art of Broken Hill and Silverton, the stark natural beauty of the region, and a glittering night-sky renowned for stargazing round out the offerings of the new bucket list event.
The historic Mundi Mundi Silverton region is famously where the post-apocalyptic world in the opening scenes of Mad Max 2 was filmed, along with key scenes for Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and where comedian Jimeoin’s film The Craic was set.
While the Mundi Mundi Plains location is rugged and remote, it is also easily accessed by road vehicles with the sealed road leading right up to the event site ensuring those looking for a unique outback camping or caravanning experience can attend without needing off-road 4WD vans, campers, and cars.
Scheduled and charter flights, bus tours and train transport is also available to Broken Hill for the event.
The Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash will be BYO alcohol for both the campsite and concert area and ticket holders are also permitted to bring their own food. There will also be a large range of food vendors selling both hot and cold food and non-alcoholic beverages at the event.
The event also has dog-friendly camping and concert areas and children aged 11-and-under will also able to attend for free.
Event organisers of the Outback Music Festival Group will continue working with NSW Health on delivering a COVID-safe event and will continue to monitor COVID developments on an ongoing basis. The huge 2 million square metre festival site ensures that social distancing will be easy to accommodate with just 10,000 patrons, and the event concert space is the size of more than 9 footy fields.
For more information and to buy tickets to the event visit www.mundimundibash.com.au
What: 2021 Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash
Where: Belmont Station, on the Mundi Mundi Plains 9km north of Silverton – 35km north of Broken Hill
When: NEW DATE: September 23-25, 2021
More info & tickets: www.mundimundibash.com.au